My artist has been creating a low poly version of the elephant for me. I am trying to see the model as often as possible so that any mistakes or problems can be caught early and therefore minimising any time wasted. This method of checking in regularly has been great and has already caught several issues that have been rectified as soon as we found them.
The very first model had some fairly major flaws, and in the end we decided it would be best to scrap it and start again.
The model was out of proportion, with legs that were too long. The front leg was also too far back, causing the head to seem stretched or out of position. The long legs also made the body seem too thin. The legs did not go far enough underneath the body, leaving the impression that they were thin sticks coming out the side of the elephant, rather than the strong sturdy supports they really are. I also advised my artist that the mouth would need to be more complex than just some extruded polygons.
He provided me with the new version the next day and despite it being lower poly, it already looked stronger. The proportions are far more accurate. I did however advise him to keep the trunk as straight as possible so that it will deform in every direction as well as possible.
The following day he had continued working with the elephant, defining the legs and body more. Its now beginning to really take shape and I can begin to picture what it might look like finished.
I have advised him to keep an eye on where and how the joints in the legs bend, as well as ensuring there are enough edge loops where the legs meet the body.